Emeralds are the green color gemstone quality part of the mineral Beryl. It is one of the most included gemstone which means even the highest quality emeralds would have visible inclusions inside them. It gets its green color due to the presence of mineral ions of Chromium and Vanadium.
Other Names: Panna, Markat, Maratakam, Pachu.
Mineral: Beryl (Beryllium Aluminum Silicate)
Chemical Composition: Be3Al2(SiO3)6
Hardness on Moh's Scale of 10: 7.5 to 8.0.
Specific Gravity: 2.76
Refractive Index: 1.56 to 1.60
Popular Origins: Columbia, Zambia, Brazil, India.
Which is the Best Substitute For Emerald?
Astrological Significance (Who should wear Emerald): Emerald has the soothingness, calmness & tolerance of Mercury. In vedic astrology, Emerald is associated with the planet Mercury (Budh). People born in the Lagna of Mercury i.e. Gemini (Mithun) & Virgo (Kanya) should wear an Emerald for life time. Apart from this, people with Lagna Taurus (Vrishab), Libra (Tula), Capricorn (Makar) & Aquarius (Kumbh) signs can also wear Emerald gemstone.
- Emerald is considered to be the stone for improving oratory issues. Mercury is considered as the Vani-Karaka (The one who bestows communication and speech) for the natives .
- It also gives mental peace, wealth, career, monetary gains and intelligence.
- It increases the creativity & thinking ability of the wearer.
- It is also used by crystal healers for meditation.
Best Weight (in carat or ratti): Emerald is a precious gemstone. Every gemstone, when worn for astrological purpose, need to adapt to the body mass of the person. Therefore, it is considered good to wear the gemstone more than 1/12th carat of the body weight of the person. For example, if a person weighs 60kgs, he/she should wear minimum 5 carat (5.5 ratti) [60 / 12 = 5]. In case of low quality Emeralds, one should divide the body weight by 10, i.e. he/she should wear minimum 6 carat [60 / 10 = 6].
Best Metal(s): Emerald should preferably be worn in Gold, Panchadhatu, or Silver.
On which finger to wear: Emerald gemstone is considered to be most effective when worn in the ring finger (Anamika) or the little finger (Kanishtha) of active hand (For right-handed people, active hand is right hand and vice-versa).
When to wear: Best time to wear the Emerald gemstone is during sunrise of a Wednesday which falls between Ashtami tithi of Shukla Paksha (8th day the Waxing moon period) and Ashtami tithi of Krishna Paksha (8th day of wanning moon period).
What is the Procedure For Wearing Emerald?
- On the selected day & time to wear your Emerald, take your ring or pendant studded with the Emerald and place it in a clean and empty bowl.
- Now, add Panchadravyas (Five Sacred Elements) in the following pattern one by one to the bowl – Starting with: GANGA JAL (Holy Water), TULSI LEAVES (Basil leaves), MILK, HONEY & GHEE (Butter). Mix them together in the bowl with your finger and keep the bowl in front of you.
- Close your eyes and recite the Mantra "Om Braam Breem Braum Sah Budhaya Namah:" 108 times and pray to the Budh Dev (Lord Mercury) to give you the strength, energy & prosperity.
- Open your eyes and take the ring out of the bowl. Dip it in another bowl of clean water and soak it with a cotton cloth piece and wear it.
Note: Please do not throw the mixture of Panchadravya in dump. Rather, pour it in a flowerpot or Plant pot as this mixture is considered a good fertilizer too.
For more details related to Emerald, please visit our Blog Section.